Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Making Windows XP Look Like a Mac OSX; v3.0.1
Topic Started: Mar 12 2005, 08:37 PM (2,011 Views)
Alpha
Member Avatar
peace and love.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The following is the third version of my tutorial on how to skin your Windows XP to make it look like a Macintosh Operating System Ten (Mac OSX). The diffrences beetween this guide and my previous ones is that in this guide, I will not only take you step-by-step but also provide comprehensive tips, visual aids, and plenty of links. Before we begin, here are some quick FAQ.

What's Mac OSX?

Mac OSX stands for Macintosh Operating System 10. (X represents 10 in roman-numerals, for those who don't know.) Apple Computer's Mac OS X beta was released on September 13, 2000. Ever since, update versions cleverly named "Cheetah", "Puma", "Jaguar", "Panther", and the newest release: "Tiger". These updates enhanced performance, added new features, and even changed the visual appearence of the entire Operating System.

That's all fine and good, but why would I want Windows to look like Mac OSX?

Good question. Why? Because Mac OSX's visual appearence is more attractive, smooth, sleek, and overall interesting to look at. Why should you stick with the default Windows XP look when you can have something much better? To see what I mean, here is a link to an image of my own desktop, fully skinned in OSX Tiger fassion: My Desktop, skinned. Nice, isn't it?

Wow. That's nice. But I'm broke, so I guess I'll have to stick with Windows XP.

Nonsense! All the applications, tools, and other downloads are free! You can have the above desktop for FREE! Surprising, isn't it?

Holy crappers. So what's the catch?

Hahaha, none. Why should they charge us to escape from Microsoft's Windows XP Visual Style? They shouldn't! And they don't! Period.

------------------------------------

And now, the tutorial itself. Let's begin, shall we?

*TIP* Here's a list of all the programs you need:

WindowBlinds-Changes the GUI of your ugly Windows XP.
ObjectDock-Adds the nifty little dock to the bottom of your screen.
Y'z Shadow-Adds a shadow to your windows and taskbar, just like in Mac OS X.
IconPackager (TRIAL ONLY)-Changes all the icons on Windows XP at once.

-----

Step 1: The Skin.

Once you've downloaded and installed Stardock's Windowblinds (above), the process of installing a skin is very simple. Here is a short list of good Mac OSX skins for Windowblinds. All the links to go Wincustomize.com, you must register there to download anything. Luckily, registration is free. :) And now the list (My favorites in bold):
iBar Mac Brushed; Mac OS X Panther; Puma; Mac OS X Tiger (This is the one used in the screenshot); Ice. Once you've chosen one, download it and save it to wherever you save your downloads. Double-click on the file and WindowBlinds should pop up or pop up a message asking if you'd like to install the theme. Select 'yes' or 'install theme' and in a matter of seconds, you should have a brand new look to windows! *TIP*: Some themes will install the minimize, maximize, and close window buttons on the left instead of the right like XP. You'll have to get used to this if you want to live the full mac experience.

2) The Dock.

Mac OS X is famous for it's 'dock' at the bottom of the screen. But us XP users have to suffer without one. :( Not anymore! Once you've downloaded ObjectDock and installed it, the rest is pretty self explanatory. Drag and drop shortcuts to the dock. To change an icon, right click on it and select 'Change Icon'. You can download more icons and backgrounds from Wincustomize.com and install them.

3) The Icons.

Obviously no look-alike desktop is complete without the right icons! You can find Mac OS X icons all over the net, so try searching on Google for some. Or you could download IconPackager (Above). Once you've installed it, go to Wincustomize.com and find some Iconpackager icons that you like. Just double click on the .iptheme file and select apply theme. Ta-da!

4) The Shadows.

Y'z Shadow ia pretty self-explanatory. Just install it and run it. You should now have a super cool dropshadow, just like on Mac OS X.

5) The final touches.

The following are all optional, but if you want the real thing you gotta' do them.

A: Right click on your taskbar, select unlock taskbar, and drag it to the top of the screen.

B: Download a mac-like wallpaper and install it.

C: Download iTunes for windows from Apple.com. This is the default music player for Mac OS X, and it can be yours for free!

D: Download and install Trillian, the fully skinnable multi-protocol instant messanger and download the iChat Skins and install them.

----

TA DA! Fin! Finite la' Comedia! The end! Whatever you want to say, you're done! Was that so hard? Nope!

(Questions? Comments? Errors? Feel free to PM me.)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Leaves
Member Avatar
Let me back in the box...
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
<_< I can't stand how mac is laid out.
Offline Profile Goto Top

hatefulemperor17
Member Avatar
Zap!
[ *  *  *  * ]
Nice Guide!

To long to read though.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alpha
Member Avatar
peace and love.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
hatefulemperor17
Mar 13 2005, 01:40 AM
Nice Guide!

To long to read though.

lol :haha:
Offline Profile Goto Top

KoolDrew
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Leaves
Mar 13 2005, 01:39 AM
<_< I can't stand how mac is laid out.

Ditto. Windows Classic is So much better B)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Myriad
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
WindowBlinds... *shudders*
Just be warned, unless you have a more powerful comp, using WindowBlinds can greatly affect your preformance. Even with an AMD Athlon 3500+ and 1GB RAM it absolutely killed my speed.
Offline Profile Goto Top

YoRone22
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice. I want to make my grandma's computer Mac like system. :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tyrving
Member Avatar
07.01.06 - 01.12.08
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like a lot of fun to put everything together, but I'm assuming your computer speed will be greatly decreased because of it :unaware:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ross
Inspire
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Great job on this one AlphaRob. That shadow tool helped a lot :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alpha
Member Avatar
peace and love.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Domie
Mar 13 2005, 05:34 AM
Looks like a lot of fun to put everything together, but I'm assuming your computer speed will be greatly decreased because of it :unaware:

Depends on the computer. And I haven't noticed any change in mine. :/
Offline Profile Goto Top

Websurfer
Member Avatar
Also known as Myr
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Now, where is the make XP look like GNOME guide ^^ I'd love to feel comfortable when I'm working in XP ya know :P
Offline Profile Goto Top

Myriad
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Myr
Mar 12 2005, 11:13 PM
Now, where is the make XP look like GNOME guide ^^ I'd love to feel comfortable when I'm working in XP ya know :P

Yeah, now thats what I want. :lol:
Offline Profile Goto Top

michaelbenson
Zeus's Official Skin Tester
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?...topic=3607&st=0
This topic provides quite a good couple of links and tools to make Windows look more like Mac OS, you'll need a couple of Stardock programs though.
Offline Profile Goto Top

KoolDrew
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Myr
Mar 13 2005, 06:13 AM

http://www.cygwin.com/

I have never tried it, but I think it does what your looking for.
Offline Profile Goto Top

GDF
Member Avatar
Hey
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Why would anyone want Windows to look like Mac OS?

>_>
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Technology Chat · Next Topic »
Locked Topic