We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Admins and Staff Grammar
Topic Started: Mar 27 2005, 04:20 PM (11,051 Views)
Ross
Inspire
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Importance of Proper Grammar as Admins/Staff

The Importance of Proper Grammar
You might be laughing at this topic right now thinking that there is no way this is important. However that is far from the truth. Good grammar will increase the popularity of your board. No one likes to go into an announcement and see:

"Thnx guyz for stikin wit us. we n0w have over 100 uber posts and we r stil growin. Keep ^ teh g00d workeh."

Surprisingly, I have been to IF Boards with content such as that posted by Admins. When looking over a possible board for me to reside in, I want to see Admins and Staff that care about there board and that have proven that they will upkeep it. Improper sentences show disrespect toward the board and a since that the author does not care about the message and has rushed it along.

Tips and Tricks
So how do you catch your mistakes? Well, the two areas where grammar is most important are Pinned Rules and Announcements because these will generally be read by all and not have many posts within them. However you should be conscience of your grammar on all threads but only go to an extreme at double checking them when it comes to these two areas listed above.

When I post an announcement I usually:

• Open the Document in a Word Processor
  • Perform a Spell Check
  • Perform a Grammar Check
  • Preview My Post
  • Check for any passed up errors

Doing this will usually catch everything and leave your posts error free.

So remember to grace your board with good grammar and structured posting. The subtle results of these actions should be noticed.
Edited by Perron, Aug 28 2008, 12:34 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Locke
Member Avatar
That one guy
Well Done!

Your documentation has been approved transferred to the Board Management forum.

We appreciate your entry and encourage you to continue building great tutorials/DOCs to help the InvisionFree and Skin Zone communities.

IF Skin Zone
Edited by Perron, Aug 28 2008, 01:17 PM.

Hatori
Member Avatar
Inconsistent By Design
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is true, and most of the times I don't join a board with staff or admins speaking with such bad grammar...

Liam-ZNR
Member Avatar
Save the world.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sean J.
Apr 13 2009, 03:04 AM
This is true, and most of the times I don't join a board with staff or admins speaking with such bad grammar...
This applies to me also. It irritates me to see when staff ignore grammar and post as if it were a text message. <_<

Journet
Member Avatar
This is a place you'll never know...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I agree to some extent but sometimes on forums that are off topic or for fun.. you can let your hair down. :P

Hatori
Member Avatar
Inconsistent By Design
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lewis
Apr 13 2009, 03:26 AM
I agree to some extent but sometimes on forums that are off topic or for fun.. you can let your hair down. :P
True... Because over professionalism will make your forum quite boring...

Luba
[ *  * ]
I try to always type what I'm going to post on Word first, to it is checked for grammar and spelling.

Kookin Keith
Member Avatar
Don't ever start looking behind
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This makes sense, thanks Ross!

Amberon
Member Avatar
Winter is Coming
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Luba
Apr 17 2009, 03:06 PM
I try to always type what I'm going to post on Word first, to it is checked for grammar and spelling.
Yes but what happens when you mistype a word and it results in a correct spelling of another word and is therefore not detected by a spell checker? :P
The best way to not make grammatical errors is to proof-read your post, which of course comes with the added benefit of making you think about what you are actually posting and gives you time to consider whether or not you should press that "Post Reply" button. :huh:

Hatori
Member Avatar
Inconsistent By Design
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Amberon
Apr 17 2009, 03:46 PM
Luba
Yes but what happens when you mistype a word and it results in a correct spelling of another word and is therefore not detected by a spell checker? :P
The best way to not make grammatical errors is to proof-read your post, which of course comes with the added benefit of making you think about what you are actually posting and gives you time to consider whether or not you should press that "Post Reply" button. :huh:
I chuckled at that statement. Anyways, if you feel that you aren't gonna make sense, then simply don't post it. Something that usually make sense would make you confident in posting it after a quick review of your sentence or statement. Be sure not to only use word or a spell detector because there are some grammatical/spelling mistakes that these can not detect.

Jumpeh
[ * ]
"When looking over a possible board for me to reside in, I want to see Admins and Staff that care about there board and that have proven that they will upkeep it."

That may have been a looong time ago, but I hope it was intentional.

Anyway, what you are saying is still the same, and it really makes sense. If an admin's posts fail at grammar, then the users are probably going to want to leave, if it's bad enough.

Ardy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Grammar is important, but some administrators of new boards have taken this professionalism thing too far. It gets to the point where they talk as though they're 25 years older then they really are and while doing so makes themselves look like idiots.

Journet
Member Avatar
This is a place you'll never know...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Luba
Download firefox and there is a spell checker built in. ;)

Tariq
Member Avatar
may the odds be ever in your favor
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sean J.
Apr 17 2009, 11:55 PM
Amberon
Luba
I chuckled at that statement. Anyways, if you feel that you aren't gonna make sense, then simply don't post it. Something that usually make sense would make you confident in posting it after a quick review of your sentence or statement. Be sure not to only use word or a spell detector because there are some grammatical/spelling mistakes that these can not detect.
I disagree. If something doesn't make sense to you when you type it out (whether it's grammatical error or not getting you're idea to make sense in text), post it anyway. Don't let lack of confidence keep you from posting a thought you may have. Yeah people may be rude and correct your posts when it's a grammatical error and people may ask you what you mean if your post doesn't make any sense, but you can always reply and try to explain your idea or edit your first post and fix the errors.

Sean J., this is in no way referencing only you but everyone. Just FYI. :P

Hatori
Member Avatar
Inconsistent By Design
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Tariq
Apr 18 2009, 10:47 AM
Sean J.
Amberon
Luba
I disagree. If something doesn't make sense to you when you type it out (whether it's grammatical error or not getting you're idea to make sense in text), post it anyway. Don't let lack of confidence keep you from posting a thought you may have. Yeah people may be rude and correct your posts when it's a grammatical error and people may ask you what you mean if your post doesn't make any sense, but you can always reply and try to explain your idea or edit your first post and fix the errors.

Sean J., this is in no way referencing only you but everyone. Just FYI. :P
Don't worry, lol... Anyways, I did something wrong with my post and I'm gonna correct myself.

Sean J.
I chuckled at that statement. Anyways, if you feel that you aren't gonna make sense, then simply don't post it.
Sorry if this came out wrong, but what I'm trying to say is, if you're not confident about what you are posting, then try to proof read it and change things that you think needs changing. Everything can't be corrected with one proof reading though, but whatever you do, we were born to commit mistakes and whatever we do, we can't actually avoid that, so yeah... Post anyways, because simple mistakes are not really acted with much concern though, since it's still understandable anyways.

Sean J.
Something that usually make sense would make you confident in posting it after a quick review of your sentence or statement. Be sure not to only use word or a spell detector because there are some grammatical/spelling mistakes that these can not detect.
Not everything you say makes sense to others, even if it is of perfect grammar and spelling. People will most of the time question what you are saying if they feel uneasy with your statement. What I really think though, is if you're confident with what you are saying, go for it. Try to defend your statement with all your knowledge and base it with facts. Grammar and spelling will always be there, but the real concern of your post will always matter the most. Grammar and spelling will just be an effective path for you to spread your opinion.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Board Management Articles · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: