We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Admins and Staff Grammar
Topic Started: Mar 27 2005, 04:20 PM (11,067 Views)
Ross
Inspire
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Importance of Proper Grammar as Admins/Staff

The Importance of Proper Grammar
You might be laughing at this topic right now thinking that there is no way this is important. However that is far from the truth. Good grammar will increase the popularity of your board. No one likes to go into an announcement and see:

"Thnx guyz for stikin wit us. we n0w have over 100 uber posts and we r stil growin. Keep ^ teh g00d workeh."

Surprisingly, I have been to IF Boards with content such as that posted by Admins. When looking over a possible board for me to reside in, I want to see Admins and Staff that care about there board and that have proven that they will upkeep it. Improper sentences show disrespect toward the board and a since that the author does not care about the message and has rushed it along.

Tips and Tricks
So how do you catch your mistakes? Well, the two areas where grammar is most important are Pinned Rules and Announcements because these will generally be read by all and not have many posts within them. However you should be conscience of your grammar on all threads but only go to an extreme at double checking them when it comes to these two areas listed above.

When I post an announcement I usually:

• Open the Document in a Word Processor
  • Perform a Spell Check
  • Perform a Grammar Check
  • Preview My Post
  • Check for any passed up errors

Doing this will usually catch everything and leave your posts error free.

So remember to grace your board with good grammar and structured posting. The subtle results of these actions should be noticed.
Edited by Perron, Aug 28 2008, 12:34 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
ScorpionMK
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I think it's important to use good grammar.

Typ1n 1iyuk d1s 100k$ unpr0ff3s10nal and p1@1n w13rd.

Prekaz
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Flygonkid
Jun 30 2009, 02:52 PM
I think it's important to use good grammar.

Typ1n 1iyuk d1s 100k$ unpr0ff3s10nal and p1@1n w13rd.
w31rd*

i after e except after c!

:glare:

Posted Image

I think as long as what the admins and staff post things that can be read - with the basics of grammar - it works out well.

Madyy
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Staff should have good grammar in major announcements and news. I mean, if it's in an off topic forum, then you can just let loose and have fun like a normal member. You look very unprofessional if you talk lyk dis in your announcements. I'm a reviewer on a site, and staff professionalism is one of the things we look at.

.JinX
Member Avatar
OoZe was a legend. :D
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Writing with bad grammar is sadly accepted by the masses. I agree that you should strive to not look like an ignoramus, but you don't have to have perfect grammar to run a popular board. Spelling errors and wierd grammar also make you human. ;)

Prekaz
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
One place where grammar really needs to be taken into consideration is when the admins make the forum names/descriptions > nothing's more of an offset then misspelling announcements or general etc etc.

.Greg
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I personally have been picked up on this subject a few times on one of my own previous boards, but not over huge gramatical errors. More over the English/American way of spelling Colour. Stuff like that.

Nice post by the way, WIll me help me in future endeavours.

Owen532
Member Avatar
[ * ]
I fully agree with your statement.

xensor
[ * ]
This is a good guide.

You would not believe how many forums I been to where admins/staff could not use proper spelling nor grammar. It annoyed me.

You also gave me a reminder for a staff rule.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Board Management Articles · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: