We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
IPB Shoutbox 2.5; By Epsilekt & Mwr247
Topic Started: Nov 1 2007, 11:08 AM (106,377 Views)
Mike
Member Avatar
Coda
[ *  *  * ]
Name:
IPB Shoutbox 2.5 (Build F)

Description:
The IPB Shoutbox 2.5 is a chatbox that runs off of and is integrated with your board, so no need to register new names with it or have trouble with people using other peoples names, and it gives you complete control over who can post and what can be posted.

The original code was created by Epsilekt (RedCrazyKid) in January 2006, and I made my first modification of it in March of the same year. I was reluctant to post a new topic for a while in respect of his, but he has moved on to IPB Shoutbox 3.0 and other projects, so I eventually made my own, and it has come leaps and bounds in the years since.

This version is "Build F" (2.5). It was originally going to be the final build, but I may reconsider. If you are still using Build E (2.4), you must upgrade to receive all of the advancements. To do so, simply uninstall the code and reinstall the new code found here. If you choose not to upgrade, thats fine, the old builds will never be taken down, but you're sure missing out on alot!

If you have purchased ad removal for your board, using this shoutbox will cause your credits to decline faster than normal due to the code's use of an iframe. Therefore, I highly recommend that you DO NOT use this code if you have ad removal on your board.

This code was #4 most replied to; out of about 5200 codes total when it was back in the IF Code Snippets forum. I think the numbers speak for themselves :)

Preview:
ShoutBoxCode
I have enabled guestshouts and guestview for this example. You wont be able to see the view link unless you login to the test account (user: shoutboxtest | pass: abc123), and only mods and above can see the mod options. The forum is currently running a preview of Build F (2.5).

Browser compatibility:
Tested to work in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and Chrome.

Known bugs:
- If you have purchased ad removal for your board, using this shoutbox will cause your credits to decline faster than normal due to the code's use of an iframe.
- Built in refresh mechanism does not work in Opera because it does not support iframe manipulation.
- There is a bug that messes up the online users list, but has been fixed somewhat to display everyone as on the index. This is fixable by setting the shoutbox to "index only".
- Shoutbox will not load when the page is in a frame.
- Shoutbox topics with only 1 post will tell you there was a loading error. Simply post again to fix it.
- Google Chrome doesn't like the bbcode buttons =\

Install here:
ACP > Skinning & Styles > Board Wrappers > (read below for placement of each piece)

Installation:
Quote:

First, create a new category and set it to disabled. Then, create a new forum NOT in the disabled category. Make sure the forum permissions are set correctly. If you want a group to only be able to see shouts, set them to read. If you want them to be able to shout to it, set their group permissions to read and reply. Now, create a new topic in that forum, name it whatever you want, and put whatever you want in the first post. The post will become the first post in the shoutbox when you're done (there is occasionally a glitch that causes the shoutbox to not show up if there are less than 2 shouts, so to be safe, may want to make a second post as well).

As soon as you post the topic, look up in the address bar and record the topic NUMBER (not the whole link). It should look like this:
Quote:

After that, go to the forum that the topic is in. Do the same thing, but with the forum NUMBER (again, not the whole link):
Quote:

All you need is the number at the end. Now, remember that disabled category you made earlier? Move the shoutbox forum there. This will make it so no one can see the forum or topic from the index.

Now go to the Board Wrappers section in your Admin CP, and paste the following code in the "JavaScript" text box (third box from the top).
Quote:

<style type="text/css">#shoutbox{width:100%;text-align:left;}
#shoutcontent{height:150px;overflow:auto;}
.smallpost{font-size:10px;font-family:Verdana;}</style>
<script language="JavaScript">
// Operation Settings
var shoutboxfid='Put_Forum_NUMBER_Here';
var shoutboxtid='Put_Topic_NUMBER_Here';
// Basic Settings
var indexonly='0';
var guestvisible='1';
var guestshouts='1';
var viewlink='0';
var modlink='1';
var enablebb='1';
var toptobottom='0';
// Advanced Settings
var topclass='maintitle';
var textlength='100%';
</script><div id="jumpfix"></div>
Obviously change the bolded green and red text to those numbers you wrote down earlier. Here is instructions on what the other options do:
- indexonly: Set to "1" if you only want the shoutbox to appear on the index. Otherwise, "0".
- guestvisible: Set to "1" if you want guests to be able to see the shoutbox. Otherwise, "0".
- guestshouts: Set to "1" if you want guests to be able to post shouts. Otherwise, "0".
- viewlink: Set to "1" if you want members to be able to access the shoutbox topic. Otherwise, "0".
- modlink: Set to "1" if you want all mods to be able to access the shoutbox's mod area. Otherwise, "0".
- enablebb: Set to "1" if you want the bbcode options to appear. Otherwise, "0".
- toptobottom: Set to "1" if you want new shouts to appear on the bottom instead of the top as default. Otherwise, "0".
- topclass: Sets the style for the top class of the shoutbox. I recommend either "maintitle", "titlemedium", or "pformstrip".
- textlength: Sets the width of the textarea for typing in shouts. Set to whatever looks good.

Paste this code first in the Footer text box in the Board Wrapper (box at the very bottom)
Quote:

<script language="JavaScript" name="IPB Shoutbox 2.5: Build-F" src="http://i1.ifrm.com/6539/182/upload/p11556253.ibf"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" name="IPB Shoutbox 2.5: Build-F - BACKUP" src="http://z3.ifrm.com/1/22/0/p452316/shoutbox1f.ibf"></script>

Now you are going to decide where you want the shoutbox to appear. Where ever you want the shoutbox to appear in your board wrappers, paste this code.
Quote:

<center><div id="shoutbox"></div></center>
I put mine just above the <% NAVIGATION %> tag in the Header & Body section of the Board Wrappers (fourth box down). Make sure that you put that code above the code in the footer, or it wont work.

Now go to the index of your board and see if the shoutbox appears where you told it to. If you followed the installation process correctly, then it should work, if not, go over the tutorial again and see what you did wrong. If you just can't seem to get it working and you are sure you followed the tutorial correctly, ask patiently in this topic and I or someone else will attempt to assist you.

Features:
Why go with this shoutbox? What makes it so good?
----------------------------------------------
More professional look:
- The ability to hide and show the shoutbox is now in the form of a plus and minus button in the top right.
- Refresh link is now a button.
- When logged out, there are more options than just refresh if guestshouts is off.
- Realigned the textarea with the Post Shout and Refresh buttons so they stay on the same line.
*- Alter length of text field (set by admin).
*- Change class of top element (set by admin).
*- Shoutbox no longer appears in active topic/member topic lists (IE bug fixed 10/25/07).
*- Improved "guestshouts off" features.
*- Removed the "( Go to first unread post )" link from pages.

Upgraded features:
- Better refreshing system.
- Page now automatically refreshes when you post a shout.
- Page jumping now works.
- Faster loading time. Now jumps straight to the last page instead of going to page 1 first.
- Fixed other miscellaneous errors.
*- Press enter to post shout.
*- Mod and above or admin only access to "Mod" options (optional, set by admin).
*- Repaired iframe refreshing mechanism.
*- Improved minimizing and maximizing.
*- No more jumping below shoutbox after shout! (formerly a big annoyance).
*- No more confused identity topics! (formerly a HUGE problem).
*- Condensed coding and faster scripts, loads quicker.

New features:
- Ability to edit and delete shouts (now limited to mods and/or admins unless viewlink is enabled).
- View link that allows members to go to the shoutbox topic to make editing easier (optional, set by admin).
- Control area, contains news and special links you might need. Only visible to mods and/or admins.
*- Reset text field button.
*- Hide shoutbox from guests entirely (optional, set by admin).
*- Index only option (optional, set by admin, rebuilt by me 11/19/07).
*- Added a new section for credits when a user clicks "Shoutbox".
*- Will now auto-convert S server urls to Z to solve the index display problems.
*- Will now auto-convert forum and topic links into the correct numbers (formerly #1 installation problem).
*- Added BBCode options to the shoutbox (even wraps selected text in IE, 10/24/08).
*- Added option to load new shouts on the bottom (set by admin, 02/04/09).

More support:
- Epsilekt moved onto other codes such as IPB Shoutbox 3.0 which uses PHP. I personally prefer this one, so I and many others have decided to stick with 2.5. Here you can get help with problems, and suggest ideas to make it better. In some cases, I've even made custom variations of this for people.

* Denotes features added in Build F (2.5).
----------------------------------------------

Notes:
I (Mwr247) do not take credit for the creation of this code. I just improved on the original features and added some of my own (a list of what I've done can be seen above). Though I personally think it has come quite a way from the original, Epsilekt still did most the work and deserves praise for the code before me.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IPBshoutboxBackup.js (15.52 KB)
Edited by Helena, Jun 7 2016, 07:26 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chimpers
Member Avatar
۞۞۞۞۞۞
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It looks fairly good and clean actually. Great job improving it.

Mr.Gamer
[ * ]
finally the dream came true a shoutbox on if thank you so much!!!!!!!

Mike
Member Avatar
Coda
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks :D Update it every couple of days or so, and may begin work on another build sometime in the near future. Also begun work on a Zetaboards conversion, and though it does work to an extent, it's still very buggy... The "SOS" link on the shoutbox is only temporary by the way, it'll go away once the petition reaches it's goal.

DrugRunR
[ * ]
I got it setup.
It was Easy with no problems.
I can't believe anyone had any problems with initial setup.
I do have 1 problem.

Refresh rate.
Basically it does not refresh.
I am running the basic code with just the GUEST features turned off for security reasons.

I am running IE 7.0/ XP pro
I can sit on the main forum page looking at the Shoutbox.
The box is open.
I can send a message and it 'refresh', but sitting on the page doing nothing, it does nothing.
To clarify, lets say I post a message.
The message appears.
I am waiting for a reply, but it never comes.
I have to manually hit 'refresh' for it to refresh.

I have the ADS turned off

Mike
Member Avatar
Coda
[ *  *  * ]
Actually, it's been designed not to auto reload. The reason being is that because it uses an iframe, reloading it causes the page to appear to reload as well. To elaborate, try clicking the shoutbox refresh button every 5 seconds. Thats basically how it would work. Gets kinda annoying pretty quick, so I decided it was a feature best left out. I know Ajax can overcome that problem, but I've only just begun looking into it, and eventually I may convert it to work that way.

Valdez
Member Avatar
►:▓░▬┴♣ ╝♀╞
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow, that's outstanding!

DrugRunR
[ * ]
well.... Nice code. Can't use it though....
Back to CBOX for me

Jounin Elite
[ *  * ]
A couple members of mine are complaining it gives them +14 Runtime errors, would anyone know anything about that?

He also said
Quote:

I'm using IE. I get messages that say "Permission denied" "F.list.offset.PARENT" and "[Div]...is null or not an object"

Please don't say only to get Firefox, I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions or similar problems.

-JE-

Mike
Member Avatar
Coda
[ *  *  * ]
First time I've ever heard of a something like that, are you sure it's the shoutbox itself causing the problem? That doesn't look like any part of my code. When does this problem occur for them?

Jounin Elite
[ *  * ]
He said it occured the first time the shoutbox had been put up, before he posted with it, but he's also the only one who had this problem. I've tried telling him it's likely something else on his comp, but he doesn't believe me :P.

-JE-

Mike
Member Avatar
Coda
[ *  *  * ]
Hmm... Send him to the preview forum and see if he still has that problem. I just don't see what could be causing that problem, considering 10's of thousands of people have used this before and this is the first error of that sort I've heard.

zepper
[ * ]
wow great mod.
works perfectly fine

angrybanana666
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
this is the best code EVER!!!! i love it! :D oh and add in the installing tut to make the shouts stop increasing to keep from spammers getting post increases ;)

Mike
Member Avatar
Coda
[ *  *  * ]
angrybanana666
Nov 12 2007, 10:52 AM
this is the best code EVER!!!! i love it! :D oh and add in the installing tut to make the shouts stop increasing to keep from spammers getting post increases ;)

Done! I can't believe I never got around to doing that lol...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Codes & Modifications · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: