Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multiquote (on) Multiquote (off)
Add Reply
Is Tapatalk gonna be a new 'forum' platform?
Topic Started: Jul 17 2017, 09:56 PM (4,578 Views)
Revillution.net
[ *  *  * ]
I was wondering because Brandon said something about zIFBoards 'transition', is Tapatalk going to be a 3rd forum service Zathyus is going to provide? i'm curious, or was he referring to just adding more security and mobile features to the older zIF/InvisionFree platform?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Joe
Member Avatar

Brandon will have to clarify, but from my understanding, the Tapatalk platform will be one of two ways a zIFBoard community can move forward: either ZetaBoards or Tapatalk.

This is different from the ZetaBoards situation; that platform will remain as it is modern and maintainable. It will be built upon rather than phased out.

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
So zIFBoards is completely going away? O_o
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Helena
Member Avatar
M is for Mod

Not going away, but rather transforming into something newer and therefore more fully supportable. zIfBoard owners will have a choice to take their board into the updated platform or into ZetaBoards when the time comes.

Revillution.net
[ *  *  * ]
Will the tapatalk platform be more modern than ZetaBoards? and will there be a way to convert to this new platform (if it is more modernized/better than ZB) in the future? or is ZB going to be the top-tier platform to use/stay with?

Nicolas
Member Avatar
"PLES RING IF AN RNSER IS REQIRD."

As outlined in the announcement, there are no planned options for transitioning to other softwares for ZetaBoards at this time.
My understanding is that the "Tapatalk" transition option is for a version of phpBB.

ZetaBoards will continue to be actively developed to match the needs of an evolving internet and our users.

Joe
Member Avatar

Transitioning from zIF to Tapatalk will bring zIF (which is quite outdated) up to par with the "upgraded" ZB in terms of security, mobile features, SSL, etc.

We have not seen any details on what that will look like from the forum perspective, but as Tapatalk is not a form of IPB, it will not be a 1:1 incremental upgrade (likely phpBB, as Nick said).

As Brandon mentioned in the announcement, there will be a live preview available for Tapatalk to help zIF owners decide whether to transition to ZetaBoards or Tapatalk.

fnuppage
[ *  *  *  * ]
I hope Zetaboards remains as is now now, we've just escaped from A Phpbb for setup that Tapacrap took over and basically trashed leaving it ugly and uncustomizable with no styles etc available.

Thought we were escaping these rogues

Nicolas
Member Avatar

fnuppage
Jul 18 2017, 08:52 AM
I hope Zetaboards remains as is now now, we've just escaped from A Phpbb for setup that Tapacrap took over and basically trashed leaving it ugly and uncustomizable with no styles etc available.

Thought we were escaping these rogues
As Brandon's post mentions, there are updates coming to ZetaBoards itself (which means continued active development), and there are no planned transition options for ZetaBoards at this time.

While we appreciate that you may have had a negative experience with another software, this transition includes Brandon remaining an active and guiding force in ZetaBoards' development, which is key for the service you've come to know and appreciate to retain its users and flourish in the coming years. :)

Lothlómendil
Member Avatar
Spam Queen
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So if we transition our zIFBoards via Tapatalk to phpBB or what-have-you, will it still be hosted by Zathyus or would that mean those boards are essentially leaving the service altogether and dealing with Tapatalk management and servers from then on?
Edited by Lothlómendil, Jul 18 2017, 12:15 PM.

Nicolas
Member Avatar

Our team will not be supporting whatever the "Tapatalk" option is, so you'd be dealing with them for that. We will continue to offer support for ZetaBoards.

Lothlómendil
Member Avatar
Spam Queen
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nicolas
Jul 18 2017, 12:48 PM
Our team will not be supporting whatever the "Tapatalk" option is, so you'd be dealing with them for that. We will continue to offer support for ZetaBoards.
Thanks!

I'm guessing that all zIFBoards will eventually have to choose ZB or TT, and eventually be auto-converted to ZB if no choice is made (e.g. old dead boards)?

When will conversions to ZB be working again? The announcement didn't really explain what was wrong with conversions or say that they're operational again.
Edited by Lothlómendil, Jul 18 2017, 01:06 PM.

Nicolas
Member Avatar

Lothlómendil
Jul 18 2017, 01:05 PM
When will conversions to ZB be working again?
As soon as possible, I'm told. :)

-Neo Metallix-
Member Avatar
Metal Overlord
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking forward to this big ZB update! It's about time we've gotten more features. Hope it has some really goodies that help it be more modern in the day of mobile/social media. :)

Lothlómendil
Member Avatar
Spam Queen
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
When can we expect this to start working? I'm guessing some documentation on how to set it up/use it is on its way as well?
Edited by Lothlómendil, Jul 18 2017, 02:57 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Service Discussion and Feedback · Next Topic »
Add Reply