Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Support Staff Recommendation
All communities remaining on zIFBoards/InvisionFree should check their conversion opt-in selection in their Admin CP (menu item Tapatalk Conversion)
(Read More)
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multiquote (on) Multiquote (off)
Add Reply
Question about Zetaboards & Tapatalk conversion
Topic Started: Sep 8 2017, 02:55 AM (7,088 Views)
Brobst
[ *  * ]
Had a question about the future conversions to either Zetaboards or Tapatalk. From everything I've read, my understanding is that Zifboards will be no more and that everything will be converted to either Zetaboards or Tapatalk. *My main questions are about the timeframe of this happening.* I know you can select the future preview option on whichever one you prefer, but I'm concerned about WHEN this will be happening. I host various live games throughout the year, and obviously, I wouldn't want to be in the middle of one and suddenly have the board switch over to completely new functionality. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the differences between ZB and zIF. I know the zIF CSS pretty well, but ZB so far is like trying to learn a new language after only speaking one your whole life. :)

Also, with most of my prior boards having (unfortunately) used Photobucket for all images posted throughout each game, and with Photobucket being a completely non-functional site now, I'm having to go post by post and replace each image link on each board and transfer all previous images to either Imgur.com or Dropbox so that they can be linked from there. It's working well, but is obviously EXTREMELY time consuming. :) With as many boards as I'm trying to rebuild post by post, image by image, etc.....it'll literally take me a few years to replace each and every image link to archive each board.

I'm wondering now how that translates to the timeframe that all zIFboards will be converting to Zetaboards or Tapatalk. Reason being, from what I've read about the conversions, it sounds as if images won't be transferred. (?) Meaning, if I'm spending all this time rebuilding my boards from the past (almost) 10 years now, would I have to start completely over replacing each image all over again once the zIFboards are no more?

Sorry if any of this is redundant, but I couldn't find anybody else who had posed these questions.....and I imagine that others must be wondering the same (or similar) things.

Thanks for any input anyone can offer. :)

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Helena
Member Avatar
M is for Mod

You can opt out of the Tapatalk preview in your AdminCP. My understanding is that after it is released, and you are ready to preview, you can opt in then.

You can create a new ZetaBoards now to test that service.

As for your pictures, we strongly recommend that all board display images be hosted on your board. That way you will not run into the issue you just had with Photobucket. In your conversion, your attachments will also convert to the new system. How to do that:

http://docs.zetaboards.com/zifboards/acp/system/image_hosting

http://docs.zetaboards.com/board/images

Your skin will not be transferred whether you convert to ZetaBoards or Tapatalk. So making a ZetaBoards test board now and getting either a new theme ready, or converting your existing skin would be something to do before any conversion.

At this time, we do not know when the Tapatalk preview will become available, nor when the phase out of zIFBoards will happen. But you will be given plenty of time to make your decisions.

Brobst
[ *  * ]
Thank you, Helena! I appreciate the info very much. :)

Something I read on the Zetaboards conversion page under things that are NOT converted:

"Images - your board will have the ZetaBoards Default images installed when you first convert."

This is referring to Skin images, read/unread markers, buttons, avatars, etc, correct?

Since it states that topics, posts, forums, emoticons, etc, ARE transferred.....I'm assuming that general posts made years ago from a member or Admin that simply shows an image on that post that someone wanted to share from like Imgur.com for example.....these images would still show up when a board converts, yes?

(I mainly ask because Im trying to get a sense of what everything is going to be like since it's the difference in it taking me a month to fix 20 boards of mine......or like 5 years to fix 20 boards of mine.) :D

Helena
Member Avatar
M is for Mod

Quote:

I'm assuming that general posts made years ago from a member or Admin that simply shows an image on that post that someone wanted to share from like Imgur.com for example.....these images would still show up when a board converts, yes?

That is correct. Assuming the image is still on that server and has not expired.

It is the images that you install via your skin codes and images page (skin buttons and icons) that will not be converted. Member-installed avatars are retained after the conversion.

desertpuma
[ * ]
Hello,

Both the Tapatalk and Zetaboards are horrible layouts for my site.

They destroy the ambiance of what I have built up to this point. They do not function the way I like my site to function. Forcing this switch upon me and the players on my site makes this more difficult overall.

Why was this change made to happen?

Why is it being forced on us who enjoy what we already have?

When is this going to be permanent?

What would it take for me get the hard backup so I can transfer it to somewhere else?

Helena
Member Avatar
M is for Mod

This change is happening because Invisionfree is an aging software, becoming more problematic and difficult to support as time goes on. The transition to Tapatalk or conversion to ZB was deemed the best way to move forward without discontinuing service to zIFBoard owners.

ZetaBoards is highly customizable, and its possible to make an invisionfree skin look the same on ZetaBoards as it does on InvisionFree/zIFBoards.

Example:
IF skin: http://z13.invisionfree.com/RetroTech/index.php
ZB theme: http://w11.zetaboards.com/GalleryH/index/?setskin=1317006

If you wish you can still purchase your database which you can then convert to an old IPB format. From there you can export it to various other self-hosted systems.

InvsionFree offers two types of conversions. The first is a free conversion to the ZetaBoards.com platform. This gives your board many new features such as blogs, webpages, and enhanced security. You'll continue to receive free support as well from our dedicated team.

If you would prefer a paid raw dump of your forum's database, you need to purchase a Conversion, which will provide you with your forum's database in IPB 1.3 format. You could then convert this database to other formats. Follow the link for pricing. You can use the support ticket feature to let us know when you've submitted your payment, or to ask about our payment options. Import instructions that include a link to the data will be given to you after your conversion has been performed.

Any purchases are subject to the Terms of Sale.

Starlake
Member Avatar
Nah
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wait, so zIFboards WILL soon be gone? What about my posts & data? What IS Tapatalk? I keep hearing it but nobody has said what it even is. What about archived forums, will they be forced to lose all their skins & eventually become that?

I was going to design some skins for IF and they're all just going to go to waste now?

Helena
Member Avatar
M is for Mod

We don't have a timeline yet, but yes. Existing zIFBoards will be converted to either ZetaBoards or Tapatalk forums. Your board content will be preserved in the transition. It will be your choice which one your board converts to. You have the option in your AdminCP to opt in to test a preview of your board on Tapatalk. And you can already create a ZetaBoards testboard to prepare for that option.

If you missed the announcement, you can read it here:
http://support.zathyus.com/topic/7010453/

Starlake
Member Avatar
Nah
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, but what is Tapatalk supposed to be?

Ismailov
[ *  * ]
How will the conversions be handled? I'm willing to convert my forum to ZB, but I don't want to wake up one day and suddenly my forum is on Tapatalk without any warning just because I didn't convert to ZB soon enough.

Brandon
Member Avatar

Ismailov
Oct 10 2017, 09:21 AM
How will the conversions be handled? I'm willing to convert my forum to ZB, but I don't want to wake up one day and suddenly my forum is on Tapatalk without any warning just because I didn't convert to ZB soon enough.
The easiest way to avoid that is to select "opt-out" for the preview. You do not need to convert to ZB yet. Any future deadlines will posted by email (to the board owner), an announcement here, an announcement in your Admin CP, and by PM to the board admins. An opt-out will be treated as a conversion to ZB when the deadline finally comes.

starrynightlights
[ * ]
Helena
Oct 9 2017, 06:55 PM
ZetaBoards is highly customizable, and its possible to make an invisionfree skin look the same on ZetaBoards as it does on InvisionFree/zIFBoards.

Example:
IF skin: http://z13.invisionfree.com/RetroTech/index.php
ZB theme: http://w11.zetaboards.com/GalleryH/index/?setskin=1317006

I was using zetaboards previously but the skins weren't as attractive and for some reason the header would cause the whole layout to stretch. I couldn't figure it out so I made a completely new board using zIF.

How is it possible to make an invisionfree skin look the same on zetaboards? I'm impressed by your examples, Helena :)

Helena
Member Avatar
M is for Mod

starrynightlights
Oct 10 2017, 10:13 PM
I was using zetaboards previously but the skins weren't as attractive and for some reason the header would cause the whole layout to stretch. I couldn't figure it out so I made a completely new board using zIF.

How is it possible to make an invisionfree skin look the same on zetaboards? I'm impressed by your examples, Helena :)
It involves moving around some elements in the Layout to get the menus to match, but on the whole its like building any other theme. Most of the changes are accomplished in the CSS. It just takes a little more work because the ZetaBoards default layout is much more expansive than that of zIFBoards. You have to change a lot of margins, font sizes, and such to get that tighter look.

I use a little JS to insert a title medium element below the header bar (H2 on themes, maintitle on skins). And generally, I'll convert a fixed width skin to a fluid width, so that usually involves splitting the header images into 3 parts which also has to be applied with a JS code.

Lothlómendil
Member Avatar
Spam Queen, Bug Sniffer, BBCode Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Brandon
Oct 10 2017, 04:57 PM
Ismailov
Oct 10 2017, 09:21 AM
The easiest way to avoid that is to select "opt-out" for the preview. You do not need to convert to ZB yet. Any future deadlines will posted by email (to the board owner), an announcement here, an announcement in your Admin CP, and by PM to the board admins. An opt-out will be treated as a conversion to ZB when the deadline finally comes.
It sounds like you're saying that if you make no selection at all on the "Preview TapaTalk" page in the ACP that it counts as a default opt-in to TapaTalk due to failure to opt-out, and the only way to guarantee you get converted to ZB is to choose opt-out on the TapaTalk page, or directly convert to ZB prior to the yet-undisclosed deadline. This seems like a risky approach. That means that the majority of zIF boards are going to end up automatically moved to TapaTalk since so many of them are old and abandoned so they won't make any selection at all. Maybe that's the goal, to trim the dead weight. But it's also a rude surprise to plenty of active boards who read the announcements, discussions, and ACP and interpreted the information presented there to mean that TapaTalk had to specifically be opted in to, and that a non-selection was an opt-out for TapaTalk/opt-in to ZB. It'd make more sense to me if you want to retain your business assets by having a non-selection mean an auto-conversion to ZB. If I hadn't seen this post from Brandon I'd have ended up with my boards accidentally converted to TapaTalk when I had meant for them to go to ZB. Would have been an irreversible disaster.
Edited by Lothlómendil, Oct 13 2017, 10:44 AM.

krypton_ls
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hello, I didn't know about the planned conversions of IF to Tapatalk forums - just had a shock of my life.

It sounds like my options now are to keep the Tapatalk forum or convert to ZB? I read a post that says there should be an option in the ACP to request a conversion, but I can't find this in my ACP. Could anyone please advise about how to get rid of the nasty Tapatalk styling and at least get back to ZB? Thanks

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Service Discussion and Feedback · Next Topic »
Add Reply