Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Support Staff Recommendation
All communities remaining on zIFBoards/InvisionFree should check their conversion opt-in selection in their Admin CP (menu item Tapatalk Conversion)
(Read More)
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multiquote (on) Multiquote (off)
Add Reply
Fake app downloaded 37K times from the Chrome web store
Topic Started: Oct 10 2017, 11:23 PM (800 Views)
Helena
Member Avatar
M is for Mod

Quote:

If you use Adblock Plus with Chrome and downloaded the extension pretty recently, you may want to check what you've installed. Apparently, a fake Adblock Plus extension made it through Google's verification process and lived in the official Chrome Web Store alongside the real one.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/09/fake-adblock-plus-chrome-extension/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DaPizzaMan
Member Avatar
#TeamSupport

AdBlock Plus "sells ads".

Everyone should use uBlock Origin (not the same as uBlock, which is a duplicate): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

Lothlómendil
Member Avatar
Spam Queen, Bug Sniffer, BBCode Obsessed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dang, this is good advice that I hadn't heard till now. I was worried I'd downloaded this because I had just started using the extension called "AdBlock." It turns out that one is legit tho, but I barely dodged this bullet. Will add uBlock Origin too, thanks DPM.

It's funny to me though, I only recently found myself needing AdBlock because I've been struggling to even browse my Photobucket account to move things off of it due to excessive ad junk on their site. Smh

Helena
Member Avatar
M is for Mod

Photobucket strikes again. Something is wrong with a marketing plan that without warning holds people ransom for images they've displayed for years, and then makes access difficult to retrieve them.

You can't expect people not to block advertising if it is annoying and gets in the way of using your site.

Bry.
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I heard about this days ago... and apparently, the fake extension has quickly been taken down. Also, this sort of thing is nothing new as it happened previously in 2015.

DaPizzaMan

Everyone should use uBlock Origin
Right on, sir. I switched to it from AdBlock Plus just recently and, works 10x better and is more efficient too. Although, ABP used to be great back in the day... until companies like Google were paying them to get their ads unblocked, nevermind the new service they're doing now as you mentioned also. Contradictory much?
Edited by Bry., Oct 15 2017, 12:19 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Technology Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply