Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Support Staff Recommendation
All communities remaining on zIFBoards/InvisionFree should check their conversion opt-in selection in their Admin CP (menu item Tapatalk Conversion)
(Read More)
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multiquote (on) Multiquote (off)
Add Reply
Creating a forum resources-themed board... Advices needed.
Topic Started: Dec 6 2017, 02:21 PM (946 Views)
Mnikolic
[ *  *  * ]
First of all, I'm glad that I'm back on ZetaBoards. It's been a while. :up: I've used ziF in the past too, but that was years ago. It was a great forum host to built a board on and I'll always remember it. I hope those that were accidentally/unwillingly switched to Tapatalk but wanted Zeta will be able to find the best way possible to resolve all issues. Just hang in there, guys! :up:

I'm currently in process of starting a forum-resource-themed message board using ZetaBoards that will be all about skins (i.e. Themes), codes and forum graphics. For short - about forum resources. If the development goes well (I still have a long way to go), I'm planning to offer forum resources for multiple forum hosts (maybe 2 or 3 besides ZetaBoards). I have a couple of questions before I continue any development on my board:

1. What would be a better choice? Start a dedicated message board that deals with just forum resources or would it be safer to add a secondary theme to the board?

2. Would I be wrong if I gave my board a more of a social network-like look?

3. In terms of features: what features are common on such boards?

4. Any additional advices would be great.

Edited by Mnikolic, Dec 6 2017, 02:21 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Helena
Member Avatar
M is for Mod

If I were to start a resources-based forums in the current climate, I would focus on mobile themes and features. The reality is that most people access the internet via mobile devices of somekind and that demographic continues to grow.

Since social media platforms are also focused towards mobile users, I think having that sort of look and format makes perfect sense. And if you can expand to several services, even better.

If you could find some secondary theme that enhances your forum mission idea, for example: something like promotion via social media discussions, it could be helpful in keeping discussions going on the resource forum. Content added daily boosts your visibility in search engines, so its something to cultivate.

Good luck! The heyday of resource forums is long behind us, but maybe you can find an angle or niche audience that will give your forum a current relevance.

l1r72
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Mnikolic
Dec 6 2017, 02:21 PM
First of all, I'm glad that I'm back on ZetaBoards. It's been a while. :up: I've used ziF in the past too, but that was years ago. It was a great forum host to built a board on and I'll always remember it. I hope those that were accidentally/unwillingly switched to Tapatalk but wanted Zeta will be able to find the best way possible to resolve all issues. Just hang in there, guys! :up:

I'm currently in process of starting a forum-resource-themed message board using ZetaBoards that will be all about skins (i.e. Themes), codes and forum graphics. For short - about forum resources. If the development goes well (I still have a long way to go), I'm planning to offer forum resources for multiple forum hosts (maybe 2 or 3 besides ZetaBoards). I have a couple of questions before I continue any development on my board:

1. What would be a better choice? Start a dedicated message board that deals with just forum resources or would it be safer to add a secondary theme to the board?

2. Would I be wrong if I gave my board a more of a social network-like look?

3. In terms of features: what features are common on such boards?

4. Any additional advices would be great.

1. A resource forum would also go well with webmaster discussion and design and development discussion as well. It's how a lot of past ZB resource forums functioned. On the end of webmaster you could also ad advertising opportunities so that new forums would have a one stop shop for ZB advertising and resources.

2. It wouldn't be wrong at all if you gave it a social network look but with that has to come a lot of social network like features as well.

3. What features are often common I can say in terms of the following:
- if you go with webmaster discussion definitely have ways of advertising (such as in signatures, on posts, affiliates, etc.)
- if you go with design and development make sure to have maybe tutorials or promote the idea of members learning and doing the work on their own (many past ZB boards like this lead to a lot of members following a career in design later in life)

4. The community here is almost dead. What you need to do is branch out to communities around ZB and the other forum systems you will offer resources for. Affiliate, advertise and do all the work to make sure your forum is heard of. You have to go into it knowing it may never be successful considering the lack of community here on ZB, so don't be discouraged. I'm sure you can do it and it can be done. Lastly, make sure to offer resources you can't find anywhere else. So many resources on ZB in the past were available at every new forum popping up. You need to bring something new to the table.

---

For a shameless plug here is a forum I have been working on for a few months: http://zetaboards.pro/index/ It's my forum and I have the few resources you won't find anywhere else on ZB, and they are things ZB really needs. A lot of the posts are my own, and a lot of the time they are double posts with me making updates and letting people know what is going on. Am I discouraged knowing that no one is involved? Yes, absolutely. Does that drag me down, at times, but I keep going. It's very difficult building a community right now on ZB and maybe this will change in the future, but go in knowing this and you will be fine.

l1r72
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
You're going to hate me for this, as are probably many other people. But why are you making a resource forum when many of your codes are just made by others here on the support forum, and you don't know HTML and CSS? How do you intend on instilling confidence in others and supplying resources when you don't have the knowledge to properly supply resources? If I may make a real suggestion and that would be most beneficial to you and your forum if you want it to succeed, learn CSS and HTML. It's not hard and it will allow you to make the changes you want on the forum.
Edited by l1r72, Dec 8 2017, 04:27 PM.

Skyon Archer
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow, l1r72, you must be psychic . . . for I was thinking almost the exact same thing.

Unless you are creating a resource site that offers one-of-a-kind, custom, codes then you are simply regurgitating the same scripts that are already available here and on a ton of other resource sites.

Most of those other resource sites were once big and popular, but as Zetaboards (and forums alike) have died, so have they.

To make a forum, blog or any other website popular, you need to find a niche. A general discussion forum with 100 categories and a 1000 forums will not succeed. A forum specific to split-window corvettes stands a chance as it's subject matter is specific and will entice a certain sect of people.

I hope you luck, nonetheless!

Mnikolic
[ *  *  * ]
l1r72
Dec 8 2017, 02:14 PM
You're going to hate me for this, as are probably many other people. But why are you making a resource forum when many of your codes are just made by others here on the support forum, and you don't know HTML and CSS? How do you intend on instilling confidence in others and supplying resources when you don't have the knowledge to properly supply resources? If I may make a real suggestion and that would be most beneficial to you and your forum if you want it to succeed, learn CSS and HTML. It's not hard and it will allow you to make the changes you want on the forum.

That is the plan, however, I want the board to be ready when I start coding Themes/codes. I originally planned to launch my board next month, but I'm currently busy at other projects (which are of private nature), but I will use the extra time to learn HTML and CSS while constructing my board.

Skyon Archer
Dec 8 2017, 07:55 PM
Wow, l1r72, you must be psychic . . . for I was thinking almost the exact same thing.

Unless you are creating a resource site that offers one-of-a-kind, custom, codes then you are simply regurgitating the same scripts that are already available here and on a ton of other resource sites.

Most of those other resource sites were once big and popular, but as Zetaboards (and forums alike) have died, so have they.

To make a forum, blog or any other website popular, you need to find a niche. A general discussion forum with 100 categories and a 1000 forums will not succeed. A forum specific to split-window corvettes stands a chance as it's subject matter is specific and will entice a certain sect of people.

I hope you luck, nonetheless!

I don't know if you've see my board while I turned it online briefly, but whatever amount of categories/forums I have on there now is subject to change. Sure, I plan to offer Themes/codes that are not available anywhere else, but there might be a spot for the ones already available. Of course, the ones NOT available anywhere else will get a 100 % focus and dedication from me, while the already available ones will just be... kind of there... or maybe not, I'll see, but I'm currently leaning to NOT to offer what's already available on other resource/support forums like this one.
Edited by Mnikolic, Dec 9 2017, 01:17 AM.

Mnikolic
[ *  *  * ]
Just a little update: I took some of the advices regarding the forum layout of my board and ended up deleting A LOT for forums & sub-forums that are not going to be necessary. I also did (and will do in the coming months) some other misc stuff, but I don't want to reveal everything until I'm ready myself for a forum resource-based community.
Edited by Mnikolic, Dec 11 2017, 08:45 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Community Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply