Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multiquote (on) Multiquote (off)
Add Reply
Should we be worried?
Topic Started: Jan 3 2018, 05:08 AM (3,754 Views)
Revillution.net
[ *  *  * ]
I know Tapatalk now gives us the option to convert to either Tapatalk OR ZB for IF users, but should we be worried?

What about us ZetaBoards users? Will ZetaBoards suffer the same fate as InvisionFree in the future thus forcing us onto a platform we may not want?

I have a new forum project in the works on ZetaBoards and I would personally love to stay on Zeta for the foreseeable future/permanently if possible......but I am worried that I will build my forum up to where I want it to be, only to have to move and lose all my data at a later date.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nemomon
Member Avatar
My dad's a soldier blue I'll be a soldier too
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hopefully not.

ZetaBoards (unlike InvisionFree) is a software Brandon made from scratch, so there is a chance that he will want to keep it and update it. Of course no one can guarantee You what will happen in the next year, and if ZetaBoards will still be a thing. I think even Brandon doesn't know yet what next will happen to ZB. Things change over time, and perhaps Brandon will have to adapt to the reality and do something with ZB too. As of now ZB stays with Brandon, and I heard that now that he has more free time and doesn't have to worry about servers being DDoS-ed, he might start working on ZB updates. Though, I'm afraid there is only a handful amount of people that still believe that ZB will ever receive an update.

sugarpuff
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I really hope not. Thinking of two boards in particular, Dracadia,and Hogwarts NZ. Both have had a LOT of time and effort spent on them. Whilst Dracadia doesnt have a huge member base, it really is an excellent forum,very well thought out...the skins are phenomenal. Hogwarts,well where to start? It’s a huge forum,massive member base...so I cannot imagine how upset the owners would be,having ot comverted to tapatalk,which for the record,is dreadful.

I know everyone puts effort and time into their forums, it was just those two in particular that stick,out for me.

Lets hope ZB stays as it is.

Mnikolic
[ *  *  * ]
I'm worried about all of this as well. I'm even having doubts weather to use ZB as the forum host/platform for my new board or not. It's close to being completed (about 70 % of its design and setup is done) and I'm not all about transferring everything to another host before the actual completion of work. I'll wait for a while and give time to Brandon to at least say a little bit what's the future of ZB and what are his plans with the software and then make the final call. Until then, I'm postponing any further work on my board. I want to be sure that ZB is here to stay as is, because transferring an active board with a bigger number of members, threads and posts isn't exactly a piece of cake.

ZB is a great forum software, it's customizable and you can do pretty much what you want with it (at least design and feature wise). But it's lacking in certain areas and needs not just a decent update, but a major software upgrade, including new user features and security features. But what is important the most, we need to know where ZB is heading. One of the other forum hosts is introducing https:// and they're about to implement it into new board registrations on their service.

The Zathyus Networks service itself could use an upgrade too. Maybe introduce some new services and go beyond the free forum service. Go social-media-like and make the ZB forum software not only accessible to a wider audience, but maybe make it able to compete with social media. Introduce some social media features and get more exposition for the Zathyus Networks and the ZetaBoards itself. Maybe some sort of re-brand isn't a bad idea if ZB stays recognizable afterwards.
Edited by Mnikolic, Jan 3 2018, 04:04 PM.

Jonathan
Member Avatar

I won't pretend to have much knowledge beyond what has been announced, but Brandon stated the following at the time this came about back in September:

"ZetaBoards will flourish best with [snip - TBA] my focused attention on development."

There's no doubt that this is the biggest change since ZetaBoards was released, and it did probably accelerate the discontinuation of IF, so it's naturally quite an uncertain time for everyone.
Ultimately, I think what has happened so far has always been inevitable, it's just the execution has been less than ideal.

Should you be worried? In my opinion, no.

I would suggest keeping the announcements forum email subscribed if you aren't able to check back regularly if you are concerned - announcements often get made here prior to ACP announcements.

Ryan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Revillution.net
Jan 3 2018, 05:08 AM
What about us ZetaBoards users? Will ZetaBoards suffer the same fate as InvisionFree in the future thus forcing us onto a platform we may not want?
Brandon has a rigid history of zero communication -- a statement supported by many current and former staff members of this service (including myself). You shouldn't be worried about ZetaBoards going the way of InvisionFree. It's natural for things to change over time. You should instead be worried that if something happens to ZetaBoards you'll be given no warning; told nothing.

ZetaBoards might have been built "from the ground up", but it certainly has never felt like it has grown anywhere beyond clovers and dandelions. It's stuck in the mud because there is no communication, no delegation, and no passion.

I personally wouldn't wait for Brandon to decide what happens with your hard work and content. It's not going to end well for you.

Nemomon
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ryan
Jan 3 2018, 06:06 PM
Brandon has a rigid history of zero communication -- a statement supported by many current and former staff members of this service (including myself). You shouldn't be worried about ZetaBoards going the way of InvisionFree. It's natural for things to change over time. You should instead be worried that if something happens to ZetaBoards you'll be given no warning; told nothing.

ZetaBoards might have been built "from the ground up", but it certainly has never felt like it has grown anywhere beyond clovers and dandelions. It's stuck in the mud because there is no communication, no delegation, and no passion.

I personally wouldn't wait for Brandon to decide what happens with your hard work and content. It's not going to end well for you.
Like we say in Poland - "he spoke the truth, give him vodka!" ^_^

Tony
Member Avatar
If found, please report missing.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
On point Ryan. :wub:
Quote:

.. You should instead be worried that if something happens to ZetaBoards you'll be given no warning; told nothing.
This. Have a plan B in place.

I have nothing invested in this service, so have nothing to lose. I wouldn't hold out hope that Tapatalk won't screw the rest of you over.

Lothlómendil
Member Avatar
Spam Queen
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ryan
Jan 3 2018, 06:06 PM
Revillution.net
Jan 3 2018, 05:08 AM

Tony
Jan 4 2018, 11:09 AM
On point Ryan. :wub:
Quote:

.. You should instead be worried that if something happens to ZetaBoards you'll be given no warning; told nothing.
This. Have a plan B in place.

I have nothing invested in this service, so have nothing to lose. I wouldn't hold out hope that Tapatalk won't screw the rest of you over.

^^^^ Oh dam. But yeah, these ring true. ZB is here for now, but with as dead in the water it's been for the last what, 10 years??? Don't get your hopes up about anything and do what you have to do to secure your own future, potentially without ZB.

spiiike
[ *  *  * ]
I just hope if ZB goes the way Zif did we get to buy our database and go elsewhere if we want to.

Stephen
Member Avatar
Twilight is upon me, and soon night must fall.

A few things since the former staff have weighed in.

As they may know, large portions of Brandon's development time was tied up with the servers. As some of the more recent staff know, that reached a peak a couple years ago when we had to move to Cloudflare protection due to severe DNS attacks. What they may not know is that a large portion of development was spent trying to work with Cloudflare to solve issues with domain names pointing correctly. Temporary solution were made and thanks to the volunteer staff, many boards had this issue resolved quickly while Brandon sought a more permanent solution. Some of these options did not pan out the way we had hoped. As a result, a lot of time was sucked away by the servers. Because, as we all know- what is the point of new features if you can't access your board?

So, when Tapatalk and Brandon came to an agreement, the result was less worry about server issues and more time to develop. For intance, https is one that has been in the works for a bit, finishing up mobile options is another. As mentioned in previous topics, prior to the whole server attack, the plan had been to do more small updates over the occasional giant update. The hope is to revert back to that plan- but it is likely a bigger update will have to be done at least initially before that can happen.

As to the future, I can only say that Brandon made this decision with the future of ZetaBoards in mind. I can't speak to the mindset of Tapatalk nor the opinions of the rest of the volunteer staff. Everyone should always do their best to plan for the future of their boards in the case of any event. To that end, I would always recommend backing things up and never storing information on the board that you could one day lose. As I have seen on other sites I frequent and as some of us have seen with this support board, data loss and data corruption are always a possibility. And while we do everything we can to negate those possibilities, it is nearly impossible to eliminate. Therefore, always keep backups of anything you would be afraid to lose.

spiiike
[ *  *  * ]
Stephen
Jan 4 2018, 11:51 PM

As they may know, large portions of Brandon's development time was tied up with the servers. As some of the more recent staff know, that reached a peak a couple years ago when we had to move to Cloudflare protection due to severe DNS attacks. What they may not know is that a large portion of development was spent trying to work with Cloudflare to solve issues with domain names pointing correctly. Temporary solution were made and thanks to the volunteer staff, many boards had this issue resolved quickly while Brandon sought a more permanent solution. Some of these options did not pan out the way we had hoped. As a result, a lot of time was sucked away by the servers. Because, as we all know- what is the point of new features if you can't access your board?

So, when Tapatalk and Brandon came to an agreement, the result was less worry about server issues and more time to develop. For intance, https is one that has been in the works for a bit, finishing up mobile options is another. As mentioned in previous topics, prior to the whole server attack, the plan had been to do more small updates over the occasional giant update. The hope is to revert back to that plan- but it is likely a bigger update will have to be done at least initially before that can happen.

As to the future, I can only say that Brandon made this decision with the future of ZetaBoards in mind. I can't speak to the mindset of Tapatalk nor the opinions of the rest of the volunteer staff. Everyone should always do their best to plan for the future of their boards in the case of any event. To that end, I would always recommend backing things up and never storing information on the board that you could one day lose. As I have seen on other sites I frequent and as some of us have seen with this support board, data loss and data corruption are always a possibility. And while we do everything we can to negate those possibilities, it is nearly impossible to eliminate. Therefore, always keep backups of anything you would be afraid to lose.
Kinda scary a staff member is warning us to back up our boards...some of us have boards so vast backing them up manually is not practical. Thought they were meant to be backed up on the ZB end to some degree.
Edited by spiiike, Jan 5 2018, 12:39 AM.

Nemomon
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Heaven is a Halfpipe
Jan 5 2018, 12:38 AM
Stephen

Kinda scary a staff member is warning us to back up our boards...some of us have boards so vast backing them up manually is not practical. Thought they were meant to be backed up on the ZB end to some degree.
Actually it isn't as scary as it sounds. You also are an old user of this board, so I'm pretty sure You already survived at least one of them if not more.

They sometimes happen, but they're so rare that You shouldn't worry that anytime soon (if ever) You will experience one. Yet, servers are only machines and everything can happen to them. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but maybe ten years later.

This is what Stephen tried to say - it is very unlikely that something bad will happen to them, but something unexpected can always happen, and as an Admin of the board You should be prepared for that to happen and instead of relying on others You should rely on Yoyrself. Like in life, today You are good, but tomorrow a car will hit You and You will die, and unless You saved some cash beforehand, Your children might not have enough $s to properly bury You. So instead of spending every single cent You have, You better will save some of them because You never know when You might need them. ;)
Edited by Nemomon, Jan 5 2018, 01:13 AM.

spiiike
[ *  *  * ]
Nemomon
Jan 5 2018, 01:11 AM
Heaven is a Halfpipe
Jan 5 2018, 12:38 AM
Stephen

Actually it isn't as scary as it sounds. You also are an old user of this board, so I'm pretty sure You already survived at least one of them if not more.

They sometimes happen, but they're so rare that You shouldn't worry that anytime soon (if ever) You will experience one. Yet, servers are only machines and everything can happen to them. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but maybe ten years later.

This is what Stephen tried to say - it is very unlikely that something bad will happen to them, but something unexpected can always happen, and as an Admin of the board You should be prepared for that to happen and instead of relying on others You should rely on Yoyrself. Like in life, today You are good, but tomorrow a car will hit You and You will die, and unless You saved some cash beforehand, Your children might not have enough $s to properly bury You. So instead of spending every single cent You have, You better will save some of them because You never know when You might need them. ;)
What you said has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion which is about whether we should be worried whether ZB will go the same direction as Zif and be force converted to Tapatalk.

Stephen
Member Avatar
Twilight is upon me, and soon night must fall.

Nemomon
Jan 5 2018, 01:11 AM

This is what Stephen tried to say - it is very unlikely that something bad will happen to them, but something unexpected can always happen, and as an Admin of the board You should be prepared for that to happen and instead of relying on others You should rely on Yourself.
Correct. Specifically when referring to my experience, I refer to when this board has experienced data loss back in 2008, server 13 I believe lost attachments back in 2005 or 2006 and server 2 of invisionfree had the infamous crash back in 2004 I believe. Additionally, boards using other software that I participate on have had software errors, data corruption and loss and items the resulted in old posts that were truncated after hitting a character limit. Software and hardware are machines and that means they can break, problems that are unforeseen can occur. Thus, anything that is valuable to me is backed up often and on multiple pieces of equipment. Here's an example of my failing to do a backup properly: I forgot my iPad password last week and managed to wipe my iPad without having a recent backup. All due to user error on my end. :facepalm:

So when I refer to keeping backups, that is what I mean. Take a look at the old zIF skins and codes and see what happens when the site they hosted their codes on went down. Or what happened with photobucket recently. No host, even one you host yourself, should be a place where you keep everything valuable. Because, what if it's cracked? What if someone edits all those posts? What if they delete things. Now granted, we can restore much of that content and we do automatic backups nightly, but not everything can be reset. Which is why we encourage all board owners to keep their own copies of valuable data.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Service Discussion and Feedback · Next Topic »
Add Reply