Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multiquote (on) Multiquote (off)
Add Reply
Flood Control
Topic Started: Jan 8 2018, 08:58 AM (5,440 Views)
Kojin
[ * ]
please tell me there is a way to turn off flood control completely on zetaboards? i don't want 5 seconds or 3 seconds, i don't want any flood control like i had on invision. even selecting "bypass 5 second post flood control" when i edit groups has no effect. driving me insane. thank you.
Edited by Kojin, Jan 8 2018, 08:58 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jonathan
Member Avatar

A mandatory 5 second flood control is in place to prevent malicious abuse (i.e. automated scripts).

Jonathan

Kojin
[ * ]
thanks for the reply. i appreciate why it's there but surely the choice on whether to have flood control on or off is down to the individual board owner? it may not sound it but 5 seconds is just too long.

Brobst
[ *  * ]
Kojin
Jan 8 2018, 09:54 AM
thanks for the reply. i appreciate why it's there but surely the choice on whether to have flood control on or off is down to the individual board owner? it may not sound it but 5 seconds is just too long.
I totally agree. Especially for live games that require speed posting....... it completely destroys an event like that.

I get why it was done, but it's obviously frustrating for those who have been disabling flood control in zIF games.

Jonathan
Member Avatar

Kojin
Jan 8 2018, 09:54 AM
I believe the limit is there more a safeguard for the server to prevent someone from posting hundreds of times and perhaps causing an overload if, for example, they had multiple sessions open on different boards. BUT, I do admit that I don't recall this being an issue on IF, so it can't have caused that much problems before.

Perhaps at least the controllable limit could be lowered. Can I suggest you post feedback via your ACP's about this so it goes directly to our developer? If you could include examples of why it would help you in particular so he can understand your side.

Jonathan

Sattrega
[ * ]
Jonathan
Jan 8 2018, 04:46 PM
I believe the limit is there more a safeguard for the server to prevent someone from posting hundreds of times and perhaps causing an overload if, for example, they had multiple sessions open on different boards. BUT, I do admit that I don't recall this being an issue on IF, so it can't have caused that much problems before.

Perhaps at least the controllable limit could be lowered. Can I suggest you post feedback via your ACP's about this so it goes directly to our developer? If you could include examples of why it would help you in particular so he can understand your side.

Jonathan
I will definitely give feedback on this as I completely agree with the above posters on this issue and I would love to turn the flood control off.

My board has been running for 12 years and part of the forum is an area where many members like to play word and number games which involves speed posting, which on IF was absolutely fine with never any problems. Now because of this mandatory flood control that area is virtually dead and for the first time in those 12 years I am losing members.

I understand why it was put in place but flood control should never be mandatory, it should be a matter of choice.

Kojin
[ * ]
Sattrega
Jan 8 2018, 05:03 PM

I understand why it was put in place but flood control should never be mandatory, it should be a matter of choice.

yes, that is a very good way of putting it. making it mandatory sounds a bit militant. the choice to have it on or off should be there.

Jonathan
Jan 8 2018, 04:46 PM

Jonathan

i will send feedback for what it's worth. i just hope something can be changed. the majority of zetaboard users are probably more than happy to have the flood control in place but there are a bunch of us that neither want it or need it so it would be nice if that could be taken in to account.

just out of interest is there not a code that could be used to turn it off or maybe even a code requested?

Sattrega
[ * ]
Well, I have now sent in feedback on this issue. I can only hope (along with others) that something can be done about this. Even if no option can be given to turn flood control off completely, having it reduced to maybe 2 or 3 seconds would be of some help.

Hopefully this isn't something that gets totally disregarded.

Cory
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kojin
Jan 9 2018, 07:34 AM
just out of interest is there not a code that could be used to turn it off or maybe even a code requested?
No, this is controlled server-side and not client-side.

Kojin
[ * ]
Sattrega
Jan 11 2018, 02:22 PM
Well, I have now sent in feedback on this issue. I can only hope (along with others) that something can be done about this. Even if no option can be given to turn flood control off completely, having it reduced to maybe 2 or 3 seconds would be of some help.

Hopefully this isn't something that gets totally disregarded.

reducing it is not really a viable option for me. when it comes to gaming which requires speed posting then the only realistic option is to be able to turn flood control off or have the option to reduce it to 0 seconds.
if nothing does happen than a board i've had a very long time will be pretty much dead when it converts to zetaboards.

Cory
Jan 11 2018, 10:27 PM
No, this is controlled server-side and not client-side.

yeah, had a feeling that was the case but thought it was worth the punt to ask.

Sattrega
[ * ]
Is there any actual chance that anything can be done about this issue or is just giving feedback the only real option here?

I ask because this 5 second flood control continues to be a major problem, and without trying to sound melodramatic, I have members contacting me about their disappointment over this. As mentioned earlier in the thread, 5 seconds may not sound much but for a forum that has been running for many years and is used to having speed posting areas and no flood control this is a huge hindrance and members have become disillusioned.

Brobst
[ *  * ]
Yeah, I run gaming boards as well, and the nature of live events that are speed based is completely thrown off.

That's something I always loved about IF is that flood control was at the discretion of the board owner.

I'm truly surprised that ZB doesn't have the option to turn off, even if it just means turning it off on a live challenge night.

I do hope that changes.

Azzurri Bandito
[ * ]
I'm happy to see a thread about this. You can add me to the list of wanting an option to turn the flood control off completely or lower it more from the 5 seconds.

My board is yet to switch to Zetaboards but it relies heavily on having no flood control and if the mandatory 5 seconds on ZB cannot be altered in any way then my board will be slowly strangled and I am now dreading the switch.

There must be something that can be done for the owners of boards/forums that do not require flood control??

Jonathan
Member Avatar

As well as the feedback you've submitted, I have also posted this in our ZB Feature requests forum (currently staff only) as it's clearly an issue affecting many boards.

Jonathan

Sattrega
[ * ]
Many thanks for the update, Jonathan.

Appreciate how busy the staff must be dealing with various issues that must crop up. Hopefully this is something that doesn't end up being too much of a hassle and can be sorted out in the not too distant future.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · ZetaBoards Support · Next Topic »
Add Reply