We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
im on linux mint (live)
Topic Started: Mar 9 2018, 01:29 AM (667 Views)
skyfallzeus
Member Avatar
Farewell zb thx for the memories
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
finally after 3 times failed sessions, i was able to boot into linux mint (cinnamon) and wow the first thing i noticed is firefox is blazingly fast. like 0.2 seconds faster than running on windows. this doesnt mean ill change OS. because a lot of paid programs are tied in with win10. others said to try ubuntu...and ill probaley try that one next.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bry.
[ *  *  * ]
Yep... Linux Mint is great. I even used it myself on a VM months ago, and I will say that in the near future, this will be my next OS to use :up:

Etrix1
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Try Zorin linux it has better support for windows apps.

Bry.
[ *  *  * ]
I used that before but... I didn't like it all that much. Not keen on its effects when opening windows and, it was very laggy for me too. Well, I suppose these effects were responsible from my own understanding.

Aaron
Member Avatar
A blast from the past.

skyfallzeus
Mar 9 2018, 01:29 AM
finally after 3 times failed sessions, i was able to boot into linux mint (cinnamon) and wow the first thing i noticed is firefox is blazingly fast. like 0.2 seconds faster than running on windows. this doesnt mean ill change OS. because a lot of paid programs are tied in with win10. others said to try ubuntu...and ill probaley try that one next.
If you are on a live CD it will (or well should) be faster on bare metal (i.e. installed).

Its been years since I last used Linux (darn lazyness and gaming) but Windows 10 keeps on making me want to move back to Linux, stupid mandatory "YOU WILL DO THIS NOW!" updates that last hours, and I do not want Minecraft or your other advertisement on my PROFESSIONAL edition of Windows, but wait it gets "Better"!

Xbox live and Minecraft and the like are on the ENTERPRISE and SERVER editions of Windows too! Yay crap ware for all!

</IT worker rant>

skyfallzeus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
whoops i havent popped in here as of late, pardon me...since trying out linux mint, ive dropped it...the interface wasnt up to my liking. i instead found peppermint to be more fun to play with. iam almost on the verge of replacing win10 with peppermint..all i need is to finalize some issues like certain programs i use everyday, will they be compatible with peppermint. like paint.net, bandizip, aimp and wisecare 365

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I've enjoyed using Linux the last few years, though I'm using stuff in the Ubuntu family.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

skyfallzeus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Gaomon274
May 17 2018, 12:17 AM
I've enjoyed using Linux the last few years, though I'm using stuff in the Ubuntu family.
in terms of security...how does it stack up against win10 bro? i mean does it even have a built in anti virus like defender

Aaron
Member Avatar
A blast from the past.

skyfallzeus
May 19 2018, 12:20 PM
Gaomon274
May 17 2018, 12:17 AM
in terms of security...how does it stack up against win10 bro? i mean does it even have a built in anti virus like defender
Because in most use cases (for home users, enterprise is different) one is rarely needed, and even then a good portion of *Nix anti-viruses really only scan for Windows viruses (for use in say an email or file server)

Linux and *Nix do not have the flaws a Microsoft OS traditionally have had that allows for easy access for viruses, and even though there are some out in the wild (some, not a lot) they are rare and far, unlike Windows viruses.

Linux as tends to receive updates quicker then Windows (and well Windows updates have a habit of breaking stuff like the latest one breaking Remote Desktop).
Edited by Aaron, May 19 2018, 01:02 PM.

-Neo Metallix-
Member Avatar
Metal Overlord
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I use Ubuntu but also Win10. Gimp is good but its no photoshop.

skyfallzeus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
updates to windows take almost the whole day...depending on how many updates on the list.. i should try get back on gimp, to familiarize self.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Technology Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply