We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Logo feedback for a small project I'm working on
Topic Started: Jun 7 2018, 11:13 AM (225 Views)
Ferby
Member Avatar
Developer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bit of background: I recently got made redundant so whilst I have some free-time whilst I apply for University I'm working on a small project. It'll basically be an open sourced RSS reader. I'm no designer never claimed to be. I'm pretty chuffed with this but any feedback would be really useful, especially seeing how there are plenty of designers here.

Here's my final result(s):
Posted Image

It's based off the the logo for RSS feeds, using the same sorta of colour scheme. You can see the creative process I went for (especially the 'goth' phase :r ). The new logo (version five) is also inspired by the old Nerd Domain logo as I thought the square effect looked more like a book and so suited this purpose better. I eventually shaped it into more of a 'binder' as RSS feeds aren't for reading large amounts of text but more used to pick out pieces of information much like a binder is used for note-keeping. The colour scheme used is to keep things light on the eyes and comfortable to read. I've also kept it flat to keep it in-line with what modern graphic design has become and to keep it simple, as this project is open sourced and not a 'brand' I'm going to be looking to promote.

Any useful feedback or criticisms would be very helpful!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

l1r72
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
All I can say is the spacing for this is weird but somehow works really well. You know when you see people make logos they are like "so we left this much space between this letter and this letter, then this much space between the box and the words" and so on - well you've got 8px between letters and 13px between the R and the E, and while it's different and seems random it works so well. It's just slightly different in size but somehow just the perfect amount. I love the way you showed the creative process, and this is by far the best one and most distinct. Apart from that the colours and font you've selected are great and fit well. The shades of orange match and work well together.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you used it but there's a setting in PS which snaps to pixel grid (see here) and allows the edge of your box to be a little sharper. Try turning that on.

Ferby
Member Avatar
Developer
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
l1r72
Jun 7 2018, 01:57 PM
All I can say is the spacing for this is weird but somehow works really well. You know when you see people make logos they are like "so we left this much space between this letter and this letter, then this much space between the box and the words" and so on - well you've got 8px between letters and 13px between the R and the E, and while it's different and seems random it works so well. It's just slightly different in size but somehow just the perfect amount.

So this is used in other logos as well. Examples: the Google 'G' isn't a perfect circle and the line in Uber's new logo isn't aligned perfectly (can't find a reliable source for this). This is because what we actually perceive as 'aligned' with our eyes may be different that what looks technically aligned. So I used the align feature sparingly and used my eye. Glad you think it worked out :)

l1r72
Jun 7 2018, 01:57 PM
Lastly, I'm not sure if you used it but there's a setting in PS which snaps to pixel grid (see here) and allows the edge of your box to be a little sharper. Try turning that on.

I can't immediately find it, probably because I'm using Photoshop CC. I'll see if I can dig it out and give it a try. Thanks!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Community Showcase · Next Topic »
Add Reply