Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multiquote (on) Multiquote (off)
Add Reply
Stopping Tapatalk Conversion
Topic Started: Jul 9 2018, 12:45 PM (897 Views)
Mofoticon
[ * ]
I am a long time user of invisionfree and zetaboards, and I do not want my forum to be converted from zetaboards to Tapatalk. I hate everything about Tapatalk and if it is converted it will cause me to leave. I am curious if there's anything I can do to avoid my forum being converted to Tapatalk, or if I am resigned to having to find a new forum elsewhere?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moonface
Member Avatar

Nothing will stop it. All boards are going to Tapatalk, even though everyone has been vocal about wanting otherwise.

-Neo Metallix-
Member Avatar
Metal Overlord
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sorry to say but nothing you can do. :( Lots have already jumped ship and moved elsewhere.

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
There is no opt out.

You will be moved over.
Only exception is if you manually delete the forum or your forum is inactive enough that it will be skipped (and then lost) in the transfer.

Ravenfreak
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
As much as many of us here wish that the Tapatalk conversion could stop, it's not. I suggest moving elsewhere, many people have been moving to jcink if self hosting isn't an option.

-Adam-
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I might get flack for saying this, but as a user of seven years, I think this all looks terrible. I'm already looking at alternative forum hosting services since I find the new interface to be foreign and confusing, and my forum agrees. I have no idea how to use it, and I've even struggled to create a new thread.

I'd suggest allowing some people to keep their old style, or at least have a way to regain the old look of the forum. It's a sad day.

Helena
Member Avatar
M is for Mod

Adam

I'd suggest allowing some people to keep their old style, or at least have a way to regain the old look of the forum. It's a sad day.

It will be a learning curve, but on the preview boards there is now an option to override the CSS. You can recreate your forum skin (or at least a pretty good approximation of it) just with CSS. Its a bit of a painstaking process, because the only tag that seems to transfer is the body tag.

I'm trying to look at it as a new adventure of sorts, even though its not one I would have opted for.

-Adam-
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Helena
Jul 9 2018, 04:30 PM
Adam

It will be a learning curve, but on the preview boards there is now an option to override the CSS. You can recreate your forum skin (or at least a pretty good approximation of it) just with CSS. Its a bit of a painstaking process, because the only tag that seems to transfer is the body tag.

I'm trying to look at it as a new adventure of sorts, even though its not one I would have opted for.
Well I hope that sometime soon it can be improved upon. I do like native like/dislike and notifications, but not much else. :geek:

Cory
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm sorry to say this, but it was really crappy to force people onto a forum software they might not even like. The download of the forum database should have been a must-have before this decision was made. People came to ZetaBoards because they found something they like, they didn't go with a different forum software, those choose ZetaBoards for reasons. I know this post makes no difference whatsoever, as everything is set in stone, but I just hope other forum software developers don't make this terrible choice in the foreseeable future. So many people despise Tapatalk that they're forced to start over on a different forum software that suits their liking, giving up years of hard work and dedication.

Stephen
Member Avatar
Twilight is upon me, and soon night must fall.

-Adam-
Jul 9 2018, 04:15 PM
I might get flack for saying this, but as a user of seven years, I think this all looks terrible. I'm already looking at alternative forum hosting services since I find the new interface to be foreign and confusing, and my forum agrees. I have no idea how to use it, and I've even struggled to create a new thread.

You won't get it from the volunteer staff. We've already made our feelings on the matter explicitly clear. We don't support it.

I've already encouraged others to go to jcink. For those who have no choice and are staying with Tapatalk, we continue to advocate for you as loudly and aggressively as we can. But if you want my opinion, if you can leave, you should.

Gaomon274
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have a list of various forum software and services compiled with help of four others on The Coffee House.

I won't copy/paste the list but I'll name the free services.
I do recommend people make test forums on them and see if they like it and go with what they like best whether that be following through to Tapatalk or restarting elsewhere.

Forum Services

Closing services include InvisionFree (what's left at least), ZetaBoards, and IcyBoards

For self-host options here's the ones we've compiled but I can't speak for how they work or anything beyond they exist:
Self Host

Cory
Member Avatar
Here's an interesting site I've stumbled across: https://www.forummatrix.org

Ravenfreak
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Forummatrix hasn't been updated in a while, and the forums are riddled with spam it seems. :\ Most of the software on the site are now obsolete. Going on the list that Gaomon provided, I'm testing out Boardhost and testing out FUD forum. (I actually mentioned these ones over at the coffee house.) I just realized on Boardhost, you can't have any private forums unless you pay for premium service. That means you can't have a hidden staff forum... I haven't done much with FUD forum, so I don't have much to say about it. Also Boardhost uses a modified version of FluxBB which is very lightweight and fast. It doesn't have the same bells and whistles as the more popular software, but it's still decent.

Cory
Member Avatar
Sorry about that, didn't realize it was outdated.

Not sure how up-to-date it is, but there's a Wikipedia article for self-hosted forum software's: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_forum_software

Padmé
[ *  * ]
I wish I could convert back. My forum changed to Tapatalk yesterday and it's been nothing but total mayhem. Settings changed, permissions all over the place. I spent hours trying to fix everything and there's still problems. I think at this rate I will need to look elsewhere. So disappointing, it was absolutely perfect for over a decade and now it's been completely ruined.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · ZetaBoards Support · Next Topic »
Add Reply